Biases, beliefs, misunderstandings and misconceptions prevent many potential customers from making decisions.
These "Monsters and Myths" hold them back from signing up to YOUR products and services.
I've faced many of these barriers and obstacles myself over the years. Anyone that has ever tried to change anything will know that you are likely to face a myriad of Monsters and Myths on your journey.
The Monsters frequently manifest in the form of outdated processess or people with closed mindsets whose opinions seem to be imposible to change, very often due to the fact that they themselves are fearful of change and anything new - I'm sure you've encountered the "We've always done it this way" Monster before??
The Myths are arguably even more damaging as the people who believe in them, regard them as fact - for example the "We have plenty of time before we need to do that" Myth which lulls people into a false sense of complacency at a time when the world is changing faster than ever ...............
Having repeatedly encountered the same Monsters and Myths across multiple organisations, industries and geographies and having had first hand experience of the "Mayhem" they cause, I am passionate about helping organisations and individuals actively seek out the "Magic" required to overcome the Monsters and dispel the Myths.
I can help you
Expose the Monsters & Myths via:-
Uncover the Mayhem & bring your Magic
Holding roundtables with your existing and prospective customers, partners in your ecosystem, or a mix of them all is a tried and tested way to uncover their pain points - so long as you can get the participants to join in!
A Monsters and Myths roundtable brings a unique element of engagement and interest to the traditional roundtable format and is a great way to hear first hand what your customers believe that might be holding them back. The participants are briefed on the concept prior to the roundtable and are requested to share three Monsters or Myths that they frequently encounter in their roles. A simple PowerPoint template is provided for them to create Monsters and Myths "cards" to complete (an example shown on the right) and send back to me a few days before the roundtable takes place in order to best structure the approach for the available time.
During the roundtable, I'll pick participants to share one of their three cards and having seen those of the rest of the participants, I'll be in a position to encourage contributions and input into the topic across the audience.
After the roundtable, the cards that have been created by the participants serve as a great summary of the challenges and obstacles that they face and are extremely useful to your team from a strategy perspective to offer them your own "Magic" to overcome them.
This is an opportunity for you to
- Uncover customer pain points in a new and engaging way
- Unlock new opportunities
- Increase reputation
- Build a sense of community across your customer base
The virtual roundtable package includes
- Participants briefed via email beforehand
- 60 - 90 min virtual roundtable (virtual sessions of longer than 90 mins are not advised)
- Professionally moderated under "Chatham House Rules"
- A pdf "deck" of the cards created by participants
- ** optional extra - summary article (approx 1,000 words) of the topics covered during the session to post on your site (+£500) **
Create the Magic your customers need
Your front line staff are guaranteed to run into your customer's Monsters and Myths on a daily basis. Sales, relationship management, marketing and customer services will face a constant battle with the biases, beliefs, misunderstandings and misconceptions of your customers that will frustrate their efforts at every move.
Running this workshop within your organisation will surface and consolidate the collective knowledge of your team and better equip them to conquer the Monsters and Myths - and you might well be surprised by the new opportunities for products and services that may arise from it!
The workshop takes the core concept of the Monsters & Myths summary cards used in customer roundtables to the next level of actionable detail with the addition of two more cards. This generates additional valuable artefacts and insights to lay a strong foundation for your future strategy.
This style of workshop requires more in depth preparation than the customer facing roundtables outlined above. In addition to the Monsters and Myths "summary cards", participants are required to create one or more of each of the following cards for each Monster or Myth they have identified:-
- Mayhem cards - to describe and quantify the impact of the Monster or Myth
- Magic cards - outline a suggested solution to overcome the Monster / dispel the Myth
Creating these additional cards may require some research on the part of the participants. For example, they may "believe" that a particular bias or misconception (Monster) has a major impact on the organisation - but they may never have attempted to quantify precisely how much of an impact it has.
Similarly, they may not have any idea of the "Magic" required to overcome an obstacle - which will require them to investigate how others might have solved the problem in the past. If they are still unable to think of a suggested way forward, that too is OK and will become a discussion point for the workshop where the other participants will be called on to suggest approaches - leveraging the collective knowledge of your team.
If by the end of the workshop, no Magic has been identified, this becomes an action point for further investigation according to the priority of the problem, which is determined by the (quantified) amount of Mayhem it causes!
To begin with, the workshop follows the same format and structure as a Customer Roudtable, however the conversation can get into far more detail given the additional cards that have been completed.
We then move on to an "affinity sorting" visualisation of the Monsters, Myths, Mayhem and Magic which I would previously have loaded into a Miro board for this purpose. I would have made an initial attempt at grouping similar cards and will call on the participants to provide feedback via chat on suggested changes.
The aim is to end up with something that looks like the example shown on the right - where the problems, impacts and solutions are visualised all on a single "map" which would lay the foundation for your strategy moving forward.
IF the workshop sponsor is brave enough ......... we can optionally introduce one final golden card - the "Muster" card (please forgive my use of alliteration - I have a daughter that works in Marketing ........ enough said 🙂 )
The Muster card names the team responsible for taking up the challenge to overcome one or more Monsters and Myths.
This workshop is an opportunity for you to
- Identify Customer pain points
- what are the Monsters your customers frequently encounter?
- what Myths do they believe in that you wished they didn't?
- Quantify the impact
- what Mayhem is caused by the Monsters and Myths your customers face?
- what is the impact to your organisation (and to your customers)?
- what is the size of the opportunity?
- Create solutions
- How can you help your team to overcome the Monsters and Myths?
- How can you help your customers to overcome the Monsters and Myths?
- What Magic will work on multiple Monsters and Myths?
The virtual workshop package includes
- Participants briefed via email beforehand
- Professionally moderated 90 - 120 min virtual workshop
- A consolidated PowerPoint "deck" of the cards created by participants
- A pdf version of the Miro board output from the session (or a link to the Miro board for you to continue refining if you prefer)
- ** Optional extra - 30 minute video briefing in addition to instruction pack sent via email (+£500) **
Make your Magic known
The key to great content marketing is continually finding new and engaging ways to get your message across in a way that resonates with your target audience - particularly when what your customers believe prevents them from engaging with you in the first place.
The Monsters and Myths multi-format show is exactly this and is a great compliment to your current content marketing initiatives!
The show is more relaxed than the roundtable format (and there are no "cards" to create) - the aim is to surface your insights through a casual conversation around the three biggest Monsters or Myths that impact your industry and your customers, along with the "Magic" you have to offer to overcome them - without this being a "hard sell" to your target audience.
This is an opportunity for you to
- Promote your position as a Thought Leader
- Increase your organisation's reputation
- Get your message across in a new and engaging way
- Highlight your customer's successes in a different light
The sponsorship package includes
- 30 minute recorded inteview via Zoom
- Professionally edited final video file provided to you for your own promotional use across your own channels (upload to your own website etc) - take a look at the final show format here.
- Video uploaded to Andrew Vorster's YouTube Channel
- Podcast / audio version of interview distributed across all major channels including iTunes, Spotify & Google
- Show shared on Andrew's social channels
- ** Optional extra - blog post for your site (approx 1,000 words) covering the topics surfaced during the interview (+£500) **
The Monsters and Myths in YOUR organisation
don't let them thrive in the shadows ........
Cultivating the skills that enable and accelerate change and transformation is now, more than ever, critical to business survival.
However many organisations allow Monsters and Myths to survive and thrive, frustrating all change and transformation efforts.
The formats outlined above work perfectly as workshops for your internal teams to lay a solid foundation for future change and transformation strategy.